Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Let's try this blog thing...

What does a 20 year old girl do when she thinks she has something to say? She creates a blog of course.

I am currently in my third year of college, studying early childhood education. I have dreams of someday working in a church but for now, I'm just trying to get through each semester. At Illinois State, I am involved with a campus ministry named Encounter. Through Encounter, I have met some of my best friends and learned so much about myself and God. I transferred to ISU last year and I had a very hard time transitioning. While I wanted to enjoy my time here, I couldn't let myself because I was in a new place where I didn't know anyone. Encounter became my place of peace and I felt surrounded by love and community. My small group became my ISU family and I am thankful everyday for the joy they brought me. This year, I was asked to be a small group leader and I am so humbled to be surrounded by twelve beautiful women each week. It is such a joy to have an encouraging group to turn to and learn from.

One of my favorite pastimes is running. On October 7th, I ran my first marathon, in Chicago, and it was the most rewarding thing I have ever done. There were over 1 million spectators and 40,000 runners and it was amazing to be apart of something so much bigger than myself. I have been running for the past 2 and a half years and I can't imagine my life without it. I have the tendency to be uptight and have found that exercising is my way of staying relaxed and calm. I can feel completely lost in my run and forget the worries that fill my life.

The most exciting part of my life right now comes from a ring on my left hand. I am engaged to my best friend and can't wait until August 10, 2013. Zach and I started dating when we were juniors in high school, which was in 2008. Over the years, we have grown together and learned more about each other. Zach has shown me glimpses of what God's love is like for me and I can't thank him enough for that. We are currently in a long distance relationship which can make things difficult but we are both growing as individuals which will help us grow as a couple. I can't wait for the day when we are finally together!


No comments:

Post a Comment